Saturday, July 11, 2009

A FOND FAREWELL TO EYE TO EYE

I'm very sorry to hear that Eye to Eye with Willie Jackson is finishing its run with TVNZ.

The current affairs panel discussion show with a Maori focus has run for six years off-peak on TV ONE. Funding for off-peak shows is a rather perilous thing these days, and it was almost inevitable that the plug would eventually be pulled, but it's a shame. The show was great, and had a real role to play in furthering understanding of Maori issues and points of view.

I'm not an entirely unbiased observer on this one, as - in my other life as a freelance executive producer - I worked on the show for a couple of seasons a few years back. It was one of the most interesting and enjoyable productions I have ever worked on, and my time spent with Eye to Eye gave me a greater understanding of the Maori world that I am still grateful for.

It was this providing of another perspective in an easily accessible, very watchable way that was Eye to Eye's strength. The Maori Television Service should have a look at whether there might be a way they could pick the series up with funding from Te Mangai Paho.

No comments: